www.monumentaustralia.org.au

St. Paul`s Anglican Memorial ChurchPrint Page Print this page

08-October-2014
08-October-2014

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Church was erected in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The church was consecrated as a Memorial Church in 1977 when it became debt free.

The total cost of the finished church came to £22,000. It was dedicated by Bishop Shevill on 4 July 1959, coinciding with American Independence Day. During the ceremony a memorial plaque was unveiled by ET Bourne, the second secretary of the US Embassy in Canberra. 

An ANZAC shrine in the north-east corner has a bronze plaque attached to the centre of the wall, listing the names of fallen servicemen from the Proserpine district. Above this is a wooden sign bearing the words "Lest We Forget" and a small crucifix. A wooden rack supports flags attached to wooden poles

.

Location

Address:8 Main Street, Proserpine, 4800
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -20.401663
Long: 148.579989
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:Edwin (Eddie) Oribin (architect)
Monument Manufacturer:Les Tinsley & Co (builder)
Link: https://www.qld.gov.au/environment…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 9th July, 1958
Front Inscription

          To The Glory Of
        The Eternal Trinity
In Honour Of The Apostle Saint Paul
And In Memory Of The Fallen
This Stone Was Set By
      HIS EXCELLENCY 
COL. SIR HENRY ABEL SMITH 
         K.C.V.O. D.S.O.
On The 9th Day Of July 1958

Source: MA,SKP, QHR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design