Port Douglas War MemorialPrint Page
The Port Douglas War Memorial includes a 'Digger' statue and was originally erected to commemorate the soldiers of Port Douglas and district who served and fell in the Great War 1914-1918. The plaque giving the details of the erection of the monument and the unveiling was added to the memorial in October 1923. A plaque was added to the memorial at a later date commemorating the fallen of World War Two and Vietnam.
The Port Douglas Soldiers Memorial was unveiled last Saturday,10th inst. The monument was covered with a flag, and during the evening was unveiled by Mrs Tresize when the "Last Post" was sounded. The unveiling disclosed the statue of a soldier on guard on a high stone base, and in the front a slab with the names of the soldiers of Port Douglas and district who served and fell in the Great War. The whole work of organising was carried out by the Port Douglas Red Cross Society.
Cairns Post, 17th February 1923
|Address:||Macrossan & Wharf Streets, ANZAC Park, Port Douglas, 4877|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.480342|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Melrose & Fenwick (Townsville, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 10th February, 1923|
This Monument Was Erected By
The Ladies of Pt. Douglas and District
Red Cross. Unveiled by Mrs C Trezise
of Mowbray. October 1923.
IN MEMORY OF
SOLDIERS OF PORT DOUGLAS and DISTRICT
WHO SERVED AND FELL IN
THE GREAT WAR 1914 -1918
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOREVER
Commemorating V J Day 1945