Walkers Shipyards MemorialPrint Page
Memorial commemorates Naval ships completed at Walkers Shipyard and those who served in them.
Walkers built their first ships for the Government in 1887. They were the Bonito, Stingaree, Pumba, Bream and the Dolphin. The memorial features the names of ships built for The Royal Australian Navy by Walkers Shipyards from 1940 to 1974 during which time 37 ships were launched into the Mary River.
|Address:||Richmond Street, Mary River Parklands, Maryborough, 4650|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.53817|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th August, 1993|
MARYBOROUGH CITY COUNCIL
WALKERS SHIPYARDS COMPLETED THEIR FIRST NAVAL SHIPS IN 1887. THESE WERE THE "BONITO" , "STINGAREE", "PUMBA", "BREAM" AND THE "DOLPHIN".
BETWEEN 1940 AND 1974, THIRTY-ONE SHIPS WERE LAUNCHED INTO THE MARY RIVER JUST UPSTREAM FROM HERE. THEY WERE BUILT FOR THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY BY AUSTRALIAN WORKERS AT WALKERS SHIPYARDS.
THE SHIPS AND THEIR CREWS SERVED OUR NATION WITH HONOUR, EACH PLAYING A PART IN THE NAVAL HISTORY OF AUSTRALIA AND ADDING A CHAPTER TO THE HERITAGE OF MARYBOROUGH. THE SHIPS WERE :
Corvettes 1) Frigates Patrols L.C.H
(2) Boom Defence
(Names of Ships) (Names of Ships) (Names of Ships) (Names of Ships)
Dedicated On The 14-08-1993 By Ex-Crew Members In Recognition Of The Ships Proud Contribution To The Wartime Defence And Peactime Protection Of Australia And In Appreciation Of The Workers Who Provided Those Fine Ships.
Alderman Alan Brown Mr Noel Gorrie
Mayor City Administrator