www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Maroon War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Maroon War Memorial Digger
Maroon War Memorial Digger

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Maroon War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those from the district who enlisted in World War One. The memorial was unveiled by General Sir William Birdwood on the 21st May 1920. At a well attended public meeting in 1947, it was decided to have the names of the service personnel who had enlisted from the district in World War Two, inscribed on the memorial.  The Memorial includes a 'digger' statue atop a tall column, which in turn rested on a substantial pedestal and plinth.

In August 1914 Maroon was a small, isolated agricultural community without an urban focus, engaged principally in dairying. Forty-two men from the thirty-five families resident in the district enlisted and of these, seventeen made the supreme sacrifice. This represented a mortality rate for the Maroon community of approximately 40%, compared with the average nationally of 20%.

Location

Address:Boonah-Rathdowney Road, Maroon State School, Maroon, 4310
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.171667
Long: 152.713611
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Manufacturer:Frank Williams & Co (Ipswich, QLD)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Friday 21st May, 1920
Front Inscription

KING AND EMPIRE
Honour Roll
Fallen
(Names)
"Their Name Liveth
For Evermore"

Returned (Names) 

(Pedestal Plaque)
World War 11 1939 -1945
Fallen (Names)
(Names)
Women`s Services
(Names) 
 

Back Inscription

This Memorial
Was Erected By
The Residents Of Maroon
As A Tribute Of Gratitude
And Respect To The Local
Volunteers In The
Great War 1914-19.

(Pedestal Plaque)
Unveiled By
General Sir William
Birdwood,
May 21, 1920

Source: MIV,SKP,QWMR,MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design