Gayndah War MemorialPrint Page
Gayndah War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts. The memorial was originally erected to those who served in World War One.
In August 1995 the memorial was expanded with the addition of names of those who have died or were killed in conflicts since World War One. The lost figure of Liberty was remodelled in bronze by Brisbane sculptor Fred Waitehouse from photographs of the original, and the rather two-dimensional bronze horsemen were cast (and made slightly more three-dimensional) from the identical figures on Gunderson's memorial at Petrie. The new work and repairs to the Second World War items were researched and organised by local RSL identity 'Sam' Weller and the costs were donated by Frank Robinson on behalf of his family.
A small commemorative garden includes a Krupps cannon and concrete slabs holding memorials commemorating personnel from the locality who served in World War Two, and later conflicts up to Afghanistan.
The Gayndah War Memorial in memory of those who served in World War One was presented to the Rawbelle Shire and Gayndah Town Councils by Harold Wilson. It was designed and produced by Ernest Gunderson and honours the 270 local men who served during the First World War, including those who died. This memorial was privately commissioned by Harold Wilson of nearby Cooranga station, and then donated to the local shires. Brass memorial surrounded by symbols of the British Empire, including a combination of kangaroo and lion, miniature mounted troopers and Winged Victory are depicted with military shells on top of the memorial.
The memorial was unveiled by Mr Bernard Corser M.L.A. on the 8th September 1919. The memorial, a gift of Mr Wilson to be held by the Municipality and Shire in trust for the people cost over £300. After the speeches, war medals were presented to the children by Mrs Saddlier who lost two sons in the war, and Mrs Jackson who lost three brothers.
The Brisbane Courier, 9th September 1919.
|Address:||Capper Street (Burnett Highway) , Gayndah, 4625|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -25.625746|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Manufacturer:||Ernest Gunderson & Co (Brisbane, QLD)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 8th September, 1919|
ROLL OF HONOUR
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
PRESENTED TO THE RAWBELLE SHIRE COUNCIL AND GAYNDAH TOWN COUNCIL BY HAROLD H. WILSON IN HONOUR OF THE DISTRICT SOLDIERS
[ Names ]
ERECTED IN HONOUR OF OUR BRAVE MEN WHO VOLUNTEERED TO FIGHT IN THE GREAT WAR
Plaque 1 :
In Remembrance Of Those Who Gave Their Lives In The Korean, Malayan And Vietnam Conflicts
Erected By Gayndah R.S.L.
Plaque 2 :
In Remembrance Of Those Who Gave Their Lives In The World War 1939 - 1945
Erected By Gayndah R.S.L.
...That freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it Pericles
This expanded memorial was dedicated on the fiftieth anniversary of V-J Day 15th August 1995 by Major Gordon Petersen Chaplain ( Div. 2) Coord Chaplain 6 Bde to honour those from Gayndah Shire who served in the Second World War and later campaigns