www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Marchant Park Memorial GatesPrint Page Print this page

24-September-2013
24-September-2013

Photographs supplied by John Huth

Marchant Park Memorial Gates were erected in memory of those who served in World War One and the Boer War. The plaques were vandalized in 1972 and restored by the Chermside and Districts Historical Society Inc in August 2003.

The gates were opened by General Sir William Glasgow on the 3rd May 1924 in front of a large gathering. The cost of the gates was £475 of which £445 had been raised by public subscription. The marble tablets on the gates contained the names of 273 who had enlisted from the district of which 53 had made the supreme sacrifice.
The Brisbane Courier, 5th May 1924

Location

Address:Gympie & Murphy Road, Marchant Park, Chermside, 4032
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -27.378389
Long: 153.029422
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Link:http://www.qldwarmemorials.com.au/P…

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 3rd May, 1924
Left Side Inscription

( Inner Column) 

1914 

     ERECTED
     In Honour
Of Those Who Enlisted
From Kedron Shire
In The Great War 
1914 - 1919.

Fallen
[ Names ]

Enlistments
[ Names ]

( Outer Column) 

Enlistments

[ Names ] 

South African War 
1901 - 1902
[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

( Inner Column) 

1919 

Enlistments

[ Names ]

Plaque :

Chermside and Districts Historical Society Inc restored the names, destroyed by vandals in 1972, on these gates in August 2003.  Financed by the Gambling Community Benefits Fund of the Queensland Government

MARCHANT PARK

( Outer Column) 

Source: MA,MIV,SKP,QWMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design