Buderim War Memorial Hall & LibraryPrint Page
Buderim War Memorial Hall and Library was dedicated in memory of those who served.
In late 1945 the Australian government was vigorously encouraging small towns and settlements to erect monuments in honour of those who had fought for their country. At the time, Buderim had a population of about 600 and the major industry was farming. Long before the end of the war, there was great discussion about the nature of the Buderim monument. The stakeholders did not want a cold stone statue, nor did they feel that a dedicated park or an avenue of trees was right for Buderim. Instead in a moment of rare vision, it was resolved to keep Buderim a place that was worth fighting for -a place that would maintain the spirit of community, which had characterised Buderim during the war years. They wanted to establish a living memorial. and so founded the Buderim War Memorial Community Centre. (BWMCA)
A new hall, built in 1923, served the Community until 1989 and BWMCA has managed this important heritage facility since 1945. Among other functions, for more than 20 years during the 50’s and 60’s, this was the venue for the very popular Buderim Movie Theatre. A brick frontage was added to the Hall in 1966, providing more space for the Buderim Library and a room for the Country Women’s Association. The snooker room underneath the CWA room was also extended.
In 1989 the hall was extensively renovated and restored. The structure was realigned to Church Street, the wooden portion of the building was separated from the brick façade and a verandah was added two years later. This redevelopment won the architect Lindsay Clare an Architectural Award. Air conditioning was added in 2006 and landscaping of the gardens and a Mural added in 2015.
|Address:||Main Street & Gloucester Road, Buderim, 4556|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -26.684557|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.