Australian Red Cross SocietyPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the Australian Red Cross Society, who have served with the Armed Forces since World War One.
The Australian Red Cross was formed as a branch of the British Red Cross at Government House, Melbourne on 13th August 1914 by Lady Helen Munro-Ferguson, wife of the Governor-General, exactly nine days after the outbreak of World War One.
The main task of the first Australian Red Cross volunteers was to supply care parcels containing soap, toiletries, special food and games for sick and wounded troops. Red Cross was responsible for providing assistance to the survivors of the Battle of Gallipoli, the soldiers who fought in Egypt, the blind and those suffering from the effects of war. In 1915 the Transport Service commenced, driving soldiers who had returned on the hospital ships to their homes or convalescent facilities.
|Address:||Ann Street, ANZAC Square, Shrine of Remembrance Crypt, Brisbane, 4000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.466428|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
The Australian Red Cross Society
Red Cross served the Armed Forces
in 1914-18 and 1939-45
Japan, Korea, Malaysia and South Vietnam