Royal Australian Survey Corps UnitsPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the Survey Units of the Royal Australian Survey Corps which prepared maps for the use of all Australian Services in every theatre of war.
On 1 July 1915, the Australian Survey Corps was officially raised as a unit of the Permanent Military Forces. The following year, its members were permitted to join the 1st Australian Imperial Force, and immediately deployed to Europe and the Middle East with survey units of the Royal Engineers. The 1st ANZAC Topographical Section was raised in 1917, becoming the first official Australian Survey Corps unit to see active service. Between 1940 and 1946, a staggering 5500 men were engaged on mapping tasks, publishing more than 1400 different maps of the various operational theatres to which our troops were deployed.
Besides its central mapping role in the war, it is also noteworthy that the Corps was charged with the production of the ‘Instrument of Surrender’ documents that effectively brought the end of the war to the Pacific Theatre.
|Address:||Fairbairn & Limestone Avenue, Australian War Memorial Western Courtyard, Campbell, 2612|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.280556|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 9th July, 2007|
UNITS OF THE
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN SURVEY CORPS
MILITARY MAP-MAKERS TO AUSTRALIA, 1915 -1996
FIRST WORLD WAR
Australian Corps Topographical Section
SECOND WORLD WAR
2/Ist Australian Field Survey Company - 6 Army Topographical Survey Company 2 Field Survey Company - 3 Field Survey Company - 5 Field Survey Company 7 Field Survey Section - New Guinea Survey Section Land Headquarters Cartographic Company 1 Australian Mobile Lithographic Section 12 Field Survey Depot - 13 Field Survey Depot
1 Topographical Survey Troop
DEDICATED TO THOSE WHO SERVED
THIS PLAQUE IS LOCATED AT 35º16'50"S 149°8'53"E