Richmond War Memorial Print Page
The Richmond War Memorial commemorates personnel who served in World Wars One and Two. The memorial was originally erected in memory of the fallen of World War One.
Richmond was an unusually excited township on Saturday afternoon, for three events of importance took place. There was a visit from the Governor and Lady Allardyce, the laying of the foundation stone of the Richmond Soldiers' Memorial, and a church fair. The main event of the afternoon was the getting the foundation stone of the memorial well and truly laid. This was a ceremony performed by His Excellency, who was accompanied by Lady Allardyce and attended by his private secretary (Captain Pope). The Warden of the Richmond Municipality (Mr. S. R. Grice), with all the councillors and the Warden of the Clarence Municipality (Hon. Jas. Murdeh M.L.C.), were present. The Warden appealed for subscriptions towards the memorial, and the Governor, having set the example, notes, silver, and even gold, was planked down on the newly laid stone, which soon had a pile amounting to £2, upon it .That brings the total in hand to £132 and the memorial is to cost £200. It will be eight feet square by 13 high with a freestone base and marble tablets bearing the names of the 42 men who were killed on active service.
The Mercury (Hobart), 26th September 1921.
|Address:||Bridge Street, Old Town Hall, Richmond, 7025|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.735321|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th September, 1921|
ERECTED TO THE MEN OF RICHMOND WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918.
[ Names ]
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY HIS EXCELLENCY SIR WILLIAM LAMOND ALLARDYCE K.C.M.G. GOVERNOR OF TASMANIA.
Note : the “Tasmanian War Memorials Data Base” , compiled by Fred Thornett which is located at the State Library of Tasmania, contains a comprehensive listing of the names on this monument.