Leederville Fallen Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
The Leederville War Memorial commemorates the fallen of the district and was originally erected in memory of those who died on active service in World War One.
The memorial is a granite obelisk mounted on a concrete base, rock faced granite plinth with stone sentinel lions placed at each corner of the plinth and facing outwards. Beneath the lions, cartouches contain the names of the great battlefronts. Marble memorial name plaques have been affixed to the sides of the obelisk.
The war memorial was erected by the people of Leederville in memory of those who had enlisted from the district and died on active service during World War One. The memorial was unveiled by the Governor of Western Australia, Sir Francis Newdegate on the 25th May 1924. The Governor said there were three reasons for the erection of the memorial :-
(1) affection for those who had fallen
(2) respect and sympathy for those who had gone and returned and for the relatives of those who had not
(3) a lasting object-lesson of the patriotism and duty of the people of Leederville
The West Australian (Perth), 26th May 1924
|Address:||Cambridge Street, Adjacent West Leederville Town Hall, West Leederville, 6007|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.940564|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Pietro Porcelli|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 25th May, 1924|
Erected By The Residents Of Leederville To The Sacred Memory Of The Heroes Who Enlisted From This District
And Fell In The War 1914 - 1918
Unveiled By His Excellency Sir Francis Newdegate K.C.M.G.
May 25th 1924
( Lower Plaque )
In Memory Of Those Who Gave Their Lives
Lest We Forget.