www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Fallen Soldiers Memorial Print Page Print this page

02-October-2013 (Bryan Hardy)
02-October-2013 (Bryan Hardy)

Photographs supplied by Father Ted Doncaster / Bryan Hardy

The Fallen Soldiers Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action in World War One. It now commemorates those who lost their lives in World War Two, Borneo, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam.

Monument Characteristics:
The Memorial is a red brick neo-classical clock tower with white plaster embellishments and a copper conical roof. There is a single clock face with roman figures facing south-east. A door way in the rear of the tower leads to street level.

The Fallen Soldiers Memorial was unveiled by the Governor of Western Australia, Sir Francis Newdegate on the 25th November 1923. Archbishop Riley performed the dedication ceremony. On the 25th April 1925 , two marble tablets containing additional names of the fallen were unveiled at the memorial by Mr W. Richardson M.L.A.
The Daily News (Perth), 22nd November 1923,
Sunday Times (Perth),26th April 1925.

Location

Address:Rokeby & Hamersley Roads, Rankin Gardens , Subiaco, 6008
State:WA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.952299
Long: 115.823807
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:E. H. Hamilton
Monument Manufacturer:F. E. Sedgley

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th November, 1923
Front Inscription

2nd World War
1939 - 1945

[ Names ]

Subiaco Fallen Soldiers Memorial
[ Names ]

This stone was laid by His Excellency the Governor Sir Francis Alexander Newdegate, K.C.M.G.

17th December 1922.

Plaque :

In memory of the fallen from Borneo, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam

Duty nobly done

Plaque :

Research in 2007 has added the following names of Subiaco servicemen who died in action
World War 1
[ Names ]

World War 2
[ Names ]

Lest We Forget
11th November 2008

Plaque :

This Fallen Soldiers` War Memorial was refurbished in April 2005 by the City of Subiaco conjointly with the Subiaco R.S.L. Sub Branch and with the assistance from Lotterywest and the Department of Veterans` Affairs

This plaque has been donated by Dr. Tom Dadour

 

 

 

Left Side Inscription

Their name liveth for evermore

[ Names ]

Right Side Inscription

The Great War. 1914 - 1919

[ Names ]

Source: MA,SKP,WMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design