Narrogin War MemorialPrint Page
Narrogin War Memorial is a Memorial Pavilion with neo-classic pillars and tile roof with paved walkway on the eastern approach. A monument stands in the centre of the pavilion with three sides having Honour Rolls which commemorate the fallen of World War One and Two. The plaque commemorating the fallen of World War Two was added to the south side of the plinth in the War Memorial Pavilion in 1953.
The War Memorial Pavilion was completed at a cost of £325.00. The brass name plates of men who had served in World War One were attached with screws to two large jarrah tablets, which were covered with plate glass and attached one each side of the entrance at the eastern end of the War Memorial Pavilion. The name plates were designed so that in the future they could be rearranged or added to, as in 1923 the authorities were still unsure if all names had been collected. The War Memorial Pavilion was dedicated on Anzac Day 1923.
The first Anzac Day ceremony at Narrogin was held in 1922, when the foundation stone of the Memorial Pavilion was laid by Lt. Colonel Olden of the 10th Light Horse as part of a full agenda.
Sunday Times (Perth) 7th May 1922.
On the 22nd March 1950, the RSL made an appeal for funds to carry out improvements to the memorial and to make provision for the names of the 35 servicemen and 1 servicewoman who fell in World War Two. The appeal was launched at a grand community concert on Anzac Day 1950.
The West Australian (Perth), 23rd March 1950.
|Address:||Williams Road, Narrogin, 6312|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.934196|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||George Lavater (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Hugh Marsh (builder)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 25th April, 1923|
THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918 ROLL of HONOUR (Names) GOD SAVE THE KING