Brookton District War MemorialPrint Page
An obelisk situated at the end of an avenue of pencil pine trees was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. The names of the fallen of World War Two were added to the memorial at a later date.
At Brookton on Armistice Day (Friday last) a united service was held by the various religious bodies, who were represented by Rev. G. M. Napier (Anglican) ex Sergeant Rev. C. E. Butler (Methodist) and Captain Mawson (Salvation Army), whilst Mr. S. Robinson, an ex-member of the 10th Light Horse, presided at the piano. A good congregation was present and the service was splendidly appropriate to such an occasion.
It is only a little over twelve months ago that the members of the R.S.A. decided to perpetuate the memory of their fallen comrades by erecting a memorial on which their names should be placed. This took the form of a granite obelisk, with the names, on a copper plate in front, of all those who had gallantly laid down their lives, and certainly the members of the Brookton branch are to be commended for their energy and fore thought in erecting such a fine memorial. It was only right and fitting that this should be unveiled on the same day, and a very large gathering of town and district residents assembled to witness the ceremony.
Pingelly Leader (WA), 17 November 1921.
|Address:||Corberding Road & Brookton Highway, Memorial Park , Brookton, 6306|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.36653|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THE MEMORY OF
THESE MEN WHO GAVE
THEIR LIVES FOR US
IN THE GREAT WAR.
[ Names ]
LEST WE FORGET