H.M.A.S. HobartPrint Page
An Anchor commemorates those who served on both ships named HMAS Hobart .
HMAS Hobart was scuttled in Yankalilla Bay to form an artificial dive reef, and its final resting place lies 4 nautical miles west north west of Marina St Vincent. The Hobart was nicknamed the `Green Ghost` for her reputation as a quiet vessel during three tours of duty of Vietnam. The Hobart was the most decorated naval vessel of her era. A land based memorial has been established at Lady Bay where the anchor from the ship lies pointing in the direction of the wreck.
HMAS Hobart (D 39) was a Perth class guided missile destroyer of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Built in the United States of America to a slight variant of the United States Navy (USN) Charles F. Adams class, she was commissioned into the RAN in 1965. In March 1967, Hobart became the first RAN combat ship deployed to fight in the Vietnam War. This marked the start of consistent six-month deployments to the warzone, which continued until late 1971; Hobart was redeployed in 1969 and 1970. During the 1968 tour, the destroyer was attacked by a United States Air Force aircraft.
After the Vietnam War, Hobart saw service during Operation Navy Help Darwin; the RAN disaster relief effort following Cyclone Tracy, was the first RAN ship to dock at HMAS Stirling in Western Australia, and completed a round-the-world voyage in 1975. The ship was modernised during the late 1970s. Hobart was decommissioned in 2000, and sunk as a dive wreck off South Australia.
HMAS Hobart was a modified Leander-class light cruiser which served in the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) during World War Two. Originally constructed for the Royal Navy as HMS Apollo, the ship entered service in 1936, and was sold to Australia two years later. During the war, Hobart was involved in the evacuation of British Somaliland in 1940, fought at the Battle of the Coral Sea and supported the amphibious landings at Guadalcanal and Tulagi during 1942, was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in 1943, then returned to service in 1945 and supported the landings at Tarakan, Wewak, Brunei, and Balikpapan.
|Address:||Main South Road, Lady Bay, Normanville, 5204|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.481081|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||05-November-2005|
|Actual Event End Date:||05-November-2005|
This memorial commemorates two vessels named HMAS Hobart
A cruiser and a destroyer and the men who served in them
Anchor from the Destroyer HMAS Hobart