Redhill War MemorialPrint Page
The Redhill War Memorial is a marble obelisk which commemorates those who lost their lives in World War One and World War Two. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen of World War One.
Before a large gathering the memorial of the people of Redhill, to those men of the district who fell in the great war was unveiled on Sunday. Councillor D. Brown presided. Mr. R. D. Nicholls, M.P., who performed the ceremony, paid a tribute to the men of the district who had foregone all the comforts of home life and risked everything in the defence of the Empire.
It was the duty of the citizens to keep before them the memory of the great sacrifices they had made. It would be a fitting memorial to those who died if it were possible for some of their English soldiers, who fought side by side with the Australians, to come out and help to people this great productive Commonwealth.
Chronicle (Adelaide), 19 November 1921.
|Address:||Bowman & Ellis Streets, Redhill, 5521|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.53749|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 13th November, 1921|
THE ABOVE BRAVE MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE.
THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF THE DISTRICT OF RED HILL IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR. 1914. - 1919. GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
LEST WE FORGET.
FOR IN THEIR BRAVERY AND SACRIFICE, DEFENDED OUR FREEDOM.
THE ABOVE MADE THE SUPREME
WORLD WAR II.