Angaston War MemorialPrint Page
Angaston War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate the fallen and those who served in World War One. Additional details were added to the memorial at a later date to commemorate the fallen and those who served in World War Two.
The monument is a bronze figure of Archangel Michael holding a wreath aloft in his left hand and a Crusaders sword with the tip of the blade touching the ground in his right hand. The figure is mounted on a pink Angaston marble pedestal, which in turn is mounted on a two-tier white marble and concrete sur-base. Bronze plaques are affixed to the pedestal. The memorial is set within a circular rose garden.
A costly and ornamental war memorial will be unveiled at Angaston to-day by Mrs. C. H. Angas. The site selected is a small park in the centre of the town, which belonged to the estate of the late Mr. George Fife Angas. The monument stands upon a mound, and as the park is at the junction of main roads, the position is a conspicuous one. The design has been adapted from the 12th chapter of Revelations, which describes the angel Michael defeating the powers of darkness, and the principal figure of the monument is a statue of St. Michael. Mr. C. H. Angas was responsible for the idea of applying the Biblical reference to the great war. The work was entrusted to Andrea Carlo Lucchesi, the celebrated sculptor. The bronze figure will be placed on a pedestal of pink Angaston marble. On the front and back metal plates will be inscribed with the names of more than a hundred men who enlisted from the district. The sides of the pedestal will be adorned with laurel wreaths. Two white marble steps form a base for the pedestal, and the total height of the memorial is about 18 feet. The monument has cost more than £1,000, and those who have seen it have expressed much admiration.
The Register (Adelaide), 6th June 1921.
|Address:||Murray Street & Penrice Road, Angaston, 5353|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.500614|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Andrea Carlo Lucchesi|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 6th June, 1921|
ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF ANGASTON
In Honor Of The Men
From The District Who Served Overseas
IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918.
Died on Active Service
TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE WHO
MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
WORLD WAR II 1939 -1945
WORLD WAR MEMORIAL 1914 - 18
The Angaston First World War Memorial represents the
Archangel Michael symbolising Right over Might.
The bronze figure by noted sculptor Andrea Carlo Lucchesi
(1860 - 1925) of the London Academy School, was the
gift of Charles Angus. Two of Charles` sons served with
British Units in France. The elegant pedestal of pink
Angaston marble set on two white marble steps was
donated by public subscription. The dedication ceremony
on Monday 6th June 1921 was presided over by
James P Heggie Chairman of the Memorial Fund, and
attended by an estimated one thousand people. Due to rain
the ceremony was held in the Angaston Institute.
This plaque and flagstaff are a gift of the Angas Family