Cross of Sacrifice (Women`s War Memorial) Print Page
The Cross of Sacrifice Memorial is dedicated to the memory of all who paid the supreme sacrifice in time of war. A plaque replaced the original inscription in 1965.
The Cross of Sacrifice Memorial originally commemorated South Australian men who died in the Great War and was paid for by the women of South Australia. A separate Stone of Remembrance was unveiled 25 April 1923.
The memorial was an idea from Miss Ethel Wyatt. In 1919 the Womens War Memorial Committee was formed from the "League of Loyal Women" and began accepting donations from the women of South Australia.
The Adelaide City Council gave approval for the memorial to be situated at Pennington Gardens. Featured throughout the world in war cemeteries controlled by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission are two particular monuments: the Cross of Sacrifice, and the Stone of Remembrance. The Womens War Memorial includes both a Cross of Sacrifice and a Stone of Remembrance positioned at opposite ends of the Memory Garden.
Placed in the base of the Cross of Sacrifice is an urn containing names of British, French and Allied troops who served during World War One. Women also placed small violet bags into the base of the cross, which contained names of loved ones who died in the war. There are also coins and documents from that time in the base of the Stone of Remembrance.
Anzac Day in Adelaide opened gloomily, but not until late in the afternoon was there any rain. Then, however, a heavy downpour lasted about half an hour. In the morning the chief fixtures were a parade of a thousand returned soldiers to Pennington Gardrns to attend the unveiling of the women's memorial, a replica of Sir Reginald Bloomfield "Cross of Sacrifice," with bronze Crusader's sword, the whole set in a symbolical memorial garden. The Lieut. Governor, Sir Geo. Murray, took the salute as the men passed Government House. A large procession of women in column of four also took part in the march. "The Cross of Sacrifice" was unveiled by Brig.-General R. L. Leane.
The Mercury (Hobart, Tas), 26 April 1922.
|Address:||King William Road & Pennington Terrace, Pennington Gardens, North Adelaide, 5006|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.913822|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Monument Designer:||Alfred Wells (Architect) Sir Reginald Blomfield (Cross of Sacrifice) Sir Edwin Luytens (Stone of Remembrance) Bambridge Reynolds (Sword)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Walter. C. Torode|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 25th April, 1922|
Their name liveth for evermore
To the glory of God and the imperishable memory of the men who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1920.
The tribute of the women of South Australia.
This plaque replaces the original inscription on this cross of sacrifice and is dedicated to the memory of all who paid the supreme sacrifice in time of war.
"Their name liveth for evermore"
ANZAC Day 1965.