Tyabb War MemorialPrint Page
Tyabb War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. Additional plaques have been added to the memorial to commemorate those who served in World War Two and later conflicts.
The ceremony of unveiling the Soldiers' Memorial erected at Tyabb to took place on Sunday afternoon last in the presence of a very large and representative assemblage. The Shire President (Councillor W.P. Mason) conducted the proceedings, which had been carefully arranged by the Tyabb Memorial Committee, of which Mr. R. W. Slocombe was the hon. secretary. Cr. W. Longmuir assisted, and other shire councillors present were: Crs. H. E. Unthank, Chas. U. Jones, and W. Alden. Brigadier-General H. E. Elliott attended from Melbourne to perform the unveiling ceremony, and a number of returned soldiers in uniform formed a guard of honor. The memorial, which is in the form of an obelisk, stands at the entrance to the main gates of the Tyabb Park, and in full view of the main Frankston-Hastings Road. It is a massive block of grey granite, resting on a foundation of concrete, and rises to a height of 14 ft.
Mornington Standard (Frankston, Vic), 17 December 1920.
|Address:||Frankston - Flinders Road, Tyabb Central Recreation Reserve, Tyabb, 3913|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.261667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
WORLD WAR II SERVED
FOR KING & COUNTRY
ERECTED BY RESIDENTS
IN MEMORY OF THE
MEN WHO ENLISTED
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 - 1919
THEIR NAMES SHALL LIVE
IN MEMORIAM (Names)