German War CemeteryPrint Page
The German War Cemetery contains the graves of German civilian internees of the 1914-1918 War and German civilian internees, German Army and German Air Force of the 1939-1945 War. The cemetery is funded by the Federal Republic of Germany and maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
This cemetery contains the graves of 250 German Servicemen and civilian internees. Almost all German internees and prisoners of war who died in Australia during the war are interred in this cemetery.Those who died in the Tatura camps during the war were buried here. After the war the War Graves Commission wrote to relatives of Germans who died in other camps around Australia seeking permission to disinter their remains and bury them at Tatura in an official war cemetery. All but 27 accepted the offer and the Australian German War Cemetery in Tatura is now their resting place.
A memorial located within the cemetery records the names of 27 Germans buried elsewhere in Australia and also commemorates 129 Catholic and 45 Protestant missionaries.
|Address:||Mulcahy Road, Cemetery, Tatura, 3616|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.429642|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 16th November, 1958|
1914 - 1918 * * * 1939 -1945
GERMAN WAR CEMETERY
DEUTSCHE KRIEGSGRABERSTATTE TATURA
(Inscription in German)
TATURA GERMAN MILITARY CEMETERY
The German Military Cemetery was sponsored by the Federal Republic of Germany and was officially opened by the German Ambassador , His Excellency Dr Hans Muhlenfeld, on 16 November 1958.
The Cemetery contains the remains of 250 Germans who died in Australia during the two World Wars. These comprise 239 civilian internees and 11 Prisoners of War ( 10 Army,1 Merchant Navy) all of whom were brought from other cemeteries in Australia, to be interred in this final resting place.
Each grave is marked by a bronze plaque bearing the deceased's name and date of death. The Iron Cross signifies the graves of a Prisoner-of War and the Latin Cross that of a civilian internee.
A Monument and Memorial Plaque located within the cemetery record the names of 27 Germans buried elsewhere in Australia and also commemorates 129 Catholic and 45 protestant missionaries.
This cemetery is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission through the Office of Australian War Graves on behalf of Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfürsorge.
IN AUSTRALISCHER ERDE RUHEN AUSSERHALB DIESSES FRIEDHOFES DIE DEUTSCHEN KRIEGSTOTEN BEIDER WELTKRIEGE
IN AUSTRALIAN SOIL OUTSIDE THIS CEMETERY LIE BURIED GERMANS WHO DIED IN THE TWO WORLD WARS
FERNER HUNDERTNEUNUNDZWANZIG KATHOLISCHE UND FUENFUNDVIERZIG EVANGELISCHE MISSIONARE
ALSO BURIED HERE ARE ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-NINE CATHOLIC AND FORTY-FIVE PROTESTANT MISSIONARIES