www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Memorial Clock TowerPrint Page Print this page

Memorial Clock Tower : 07-July-2011
Memorial Clock Tower : 07-July-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Conceived as a War Memorial after World War One, the Clock Tower was built in 1928 on the corner of Whitehorse Road (Main Street) and Warrandyte Road.

It was formally unveiled by the Mayor of the newly formed Borough of Ringwood, Cr Mackinlay, and not by military ceremony. The Clock Tower became an icon and, increasingly, a traffic hazard.

With the planned development of Eastland Shopping Centre nearby, it was decided , after some controversy, to re-erect the Clock Tower at the site of the former Coolstores on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Wantirna Road. It was re-dedicated in December 1967.

Location

Address:Maroondah Highway & Wantirna Road, Ringwood, 3134
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.816389
Long: 145.227222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 4th August, 1928
Front Inscription

IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO MADE THE GREAT SACRIFICE THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919 (Names)

WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945 IN HONOR (Names)

Left Side Inscription

IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN KOREA 1950 - 1953 VIETNAM 1962 - 1972

"LEST WE FORGET"

THIS MEMORIAL BEING A FACSIMILE OF THE ORIGINAL MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED IN 1967

IN MEMORY OF ALL WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 AND IN THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945 AND ALSO IN HONOUR OF ALL WHO RESPONDED TO THE CALL OF DUTY.

IT WAS DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF SERVICE AND SACRIFICE ON 9TH DECEMBER 1967 BY THE CHAPLAIN OF THE RINGWOOD CITY COUNCIL, MAJOR GORDON INGLIS, AND UNVEILED BY MAJOR GENERAL L. E. BEAVIS, C. B., C.B.E., D.S.O. AT THE CEREMONY PRESIDED OVER BY THE MAYOR OF THE CITY OF RINGWOOD, COUNCILLOR NORMAN AUS, J.P.

Right Side Inscription

IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN MALAYA SABAH - SARAWAK MALAY PENINSULA 1948 - 1966 "LEST WE FORGET"

THE ORIGINAL MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER WAS LOCATED ON MAROONDAH HIGHWAY AT THE JUNCTION OF WARRANDYTE ROAD. IT WAS ERECTED AS A RESULT OF PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTIONS AND A GRANT BY THE RINGWOOD BOROUGH COUNCIL. IT WAS UNVEILED ON 4TH AUGUST, 1928 BY THE MAYOR OF THE BOROUGH OF RINGWOOD CR. W. MACKINLAY, J. P.

Source: MA,RSLV,VMR,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design