www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Melbourne University CenotaphPrint Page Print this page

Melbourne University Cenotaph : 10-August-2012
Melbourne University Cenotaph : 10-August-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Dr.Ross Bastiaan

A monument commemorates those from the University who served in both World Wars. 

This memorial, of Stawell stone, was built in 1926 to honour those in the University who served or died in World War One. The memorial was unveiled by Sir John Monash on the 24th April 1926. It originally stood at the head of the main drive but was relocated near the Law School and Wilson Hall. The relocation occurred in 1972.

Location

Address:Grattan Street, near Wilson Hall, Melbourne University, Parkville, 3052
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.798316
Long: 144.960855
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 24th April, 1926
Front Inscription

BENE MERITUS
    DOMI
MILITIAEQUE
1914 - 1918
1939 -1945 

Left Side Inscription

  DE
PATRIA

Back Inscription

     DE
ACADEMIA

Right Side Inscription

DE
IMPERIO

Source: MA,SKP, VWHI
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design