www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Mornington War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

09-May-2017
09-May-2017

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

Mornington War Memorial was originally erected in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. Additional plaques were added to the memorial on the 20th April, 1952 to commemorate the fallen men and women who served in World War Two.

The memorial, which was originally situated at the intersection of the Nepean Highway and Main Street, was relocated to its present site and rededicated on the 15th March 1970. 

In the presence of 900 people on Sunday afternoon, the monument in memory of fallen soldiers was unveiled by Lord Stradbroke, Governor of Victoria, and was dedicated by the Archbishop of Melbourne. The monument, which was erected by the local residents, cost £1200. It is representative of a large cross, with a sword suspended, and has a medallion symbolising a nurse attending a wounded soldier. The naval depot band attended, also a guard of honor, consisting of 100 sailors and the local scouts. Lord Stradbroke said the nation must hold high ideals. It must cultivate that spirit of remembrance to the fallen, who made the supreme sacrifice, not for their own interests, but for all of Australia's inhabitants. After the ceremony Mr. Thomas Baker entertained the visitors at afternoon tea at 'Manyung,' Mornington. Mr. Baker was the principal subscriber to the monument. 
Age (Melbourne), 19 October 1925.

MORNINGTON, Sunday. — Several plaques on the Mornington war memorial were unveiled by Mr. W. W. Leggatt. M.L.A., today. The plaques commemorate the men and women of the district who died in the second world war. A guard of honor from Army apprentices and the Citizens' band, attended the service. 
Age (Melbourne), 21 April 1952.

Location

Address:Barkly Street, Memorial Park, Mornington, 3931
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.221931
Long: 145.036198
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 18th October, 1925
Right Side Inscription
Plaque: 
THIS MEMORIAL
WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY DEDICATED ON THE 18th OCTOBER, 1925, AT THE INTERSECTION OF NEPEAN HIGHWAY AND MAIN ST. MORNINGTON, WAS RE-DEDICATED ON THIS SITE ON THE 15th MARCH, 1970. 
 
Source: RSLV, SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design