Inverloch War MemorialPrint Page
Inverloch War Memorial commemorates servicemen and women who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The Inverloch War Memorial is a two-tier white cemented obelisk using stone taken by school children from the beach area in 1931 and was originally located at the entrance to the Sportsground. The war memorial was refurbished after the Second World War and a bronze plaque was added to the memorial in memory of those who lost their lives in World War Two. In 2002, a plaque was added to the memorial detailing its history and dedicated to C.W. Wyeth who served in World War One and organised the construction of the memorial.
The war memorial has now been relocated to the Memorial Gardens at the "Inverloch Hub" corner of Abeckett and Reilly Streets. It is now the centrepiece of the memorial precinct and flanked on either side by plaques that originally were located at the Community Hub gardens and dedicated in 1988. The garden area is now fully paved.
Funding was received in 2015 from the Anzac Centenary Grants Program to install a plaque on the memorial to commemorate the centenary of Anzac.
Note: Some photos of the memorial shown on this site have been taken at the old location at the showgrounds.
|Address:||Abeckett & Reilly Streets, Inverloch, 3996|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.633669|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1931|
IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY
"LEST WE FORGET"
(Left side boulder)
"LEST WE FORGET"
IN MEMORY OF INVERLOCH AND DISTRICT RESIDENTS WHO DURING THE 1914 - 1918 WAR SERVED THEIR COUNTRY AND SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES SO THAT THE LIGHTS OF FREEDOM AND HUMANITY MIGHT CONTINUE TO SHINE
LEST WE FORGET
This Cenotaph was built in 1931 using rounded beach stones collected from Andersons Inlet by the Inverloch School children. The Cenotaph was unveiled and dedicated by the Rev Cooper on ANZAC Day and the Wonthaggi RSL Sub-Branch marched on to the music of the Wonthaggi Brass band.
The newly formed Inverloch RSL Sub-Branch refurbished the Cenotaph after the Second World War. A bronze engraved plate was added in memory of those who died in WWII. The plaque is dedicated to C. W. Wyeth who served in WWI and organised the construction of this Cenotaph.
ANZAC Day 2002
COMMEMORATING INVERLOCH VOLUNTEERS
GREAT WAR 1914-18
(Right side boulder)
IN MEMORY OF INVERLOCH AND DISTRICT RESIDENTS WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY DURING THE 1939 -1945, KOREAN MALAYAN AND VIETNAM WARS AND WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE TO SAFEGUARD OUR HERITAGE