www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Dandenong Cenotaph & Pillars of FreedomPrint Page Print this page

Dandenong Cenotaph and Pillars of Freedom : 12-August-2012
Dandenong Cenotaph and Pillars of Freedom : 12-August-2012

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders / Sandra Brown

The Dandenong Cenotaph and Pillars of Freedom commemorate Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts.

The cenotaph was originally unveiled on the 12th August 1928 in memory of those who lost their lives in World War One. The cenotaph originally stood opposite the Town Hall before being moved to its present site and incorporated with the Pillars of Freedom. 

Monument characteristics :

The cenotaph is a stepped obelisk, the two concrete pillars of freedom carry bronze sculptures and metal flagpoles and a triangular concrete plinth carries descriptive plaques.

 

Location

Address:Clow Street & Palm Plaza, Dandenong, 3175
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.985094
Long: 145.214761
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:Orchard Design Studios (Pillars of Freedom)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 25th June, 1995
Front Inscription

LEST WE FORGET.

OUR GLORIOUS DEAD

Left Side Inscription

The Pillars Of Freedom

Were Officially Blessed By
The Combined Clergy Of
The City Of Dandenong
During The Unveiling Ceremony

25th June 1995

Back Inscription

LEST WE FORGET.

OUR GLORIOUS DEAD

Source: MA,RSLV,SKP,CRE
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design