www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Soldiers Memorial Institute War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Soldiers Memorial Institute War Memorial : 18-July-2011
Soldiers Memorial Institute War Memorial : 18-July-2011

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson / Roger Johnson / Sandra Brown

The Returned Soldiers` Memorial Hall was in November 1921 by the Earl of Stradbroke as a permanent memorial to all those from Bendigo who served in World War One and particularly to those who died in service.

The design of the memorial hall characterised by stripped and distorted classicism popular with public buildings of the early twentieth century, was by local architect Mr G.D. Garvin of the architectural partnership, W Beebe and G.D. Garvin. The memorial hall was planned to provide accommodation for a club for returned soldiers, a band rotunda and a publicly accessible honour roll. 

On ANZAC Day, 1926 the Honour Roll, with 2300 names on bronze tablets fitted on the wall of the loggia of the Memorial was unveiled. On the day of the opening, the printed program gave this account for the reason to erect such a magnificent Memorial. "Thousands of Bendigo boys enlisted; a large number making the supreme sacrifice, and to their sacred memory, as a constant reminder to those who have returned, of the gratitude of the citizens, this Hall has been dedicated."

Location

Address:Pall Mall, Soldiers Memorial Institute, Bendigo, 3550
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.75875
Long: 144.279222
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Manufacturer:Beebe and Garvin

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 15th November, 1921
Source: MA,RSLV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design