United States Marines Memorial GatesPrint Page
Gates were erected by the Australian Army in appreciation of the fighting qualities of the United States Marine Corps . A further plaque on the gates erected by the United States Marine Corps recognises the appreciation and hospitality shown by the people of the district during their stay at Camp Balcombe in World War Two. Camp Balcombe was located on the site of Mace Oval.
The first huts in the Balcombe Army Camp were erected in 1939. The area is now called Balcombe Estuary. The area was named after Lord Balcombe. The Footscray Regiment, machine gunners lived in the first houses while the militia lived in tents. The 1st Division of the US Marine Corps and the 'Seebees' Construction then moved into Balcombe. The Marines would carry out practice beach landings from the "Manoora" near the Dromana cliffs.
|Address:||Nepean Highway, Mace Oval, Mount Martha , 3934|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.270392|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THESE GATES HAVE BEEN ERECTED BY THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY AS A MARK OF APPRECIATION OF THE FIGHTING QUALITIES OF THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.
IT WAS TO BALCOMBE CAMP THAT THE 1st DIVISION OF THE MARINE CORPS CAME IN 1942 FOR REST AND REFIT AFTER THE BATTLE OF GUADALCANAL.
NEAR HERE THE DIVISION RECEIVED THE PRESIDENTIAL CITATION FOR ITS EPIC FIGHT.
THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS HERE RECORDS ITS APPRECIATION OF THE FRIENDSHIP AND CORDIAL HOSPITALITY WHICH WERE EXTENDED TO THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE 1st MARINE DIVISION BY THE PEOPLE OF THIS DISTRICT IN THE CRITICAL YEAR 1942.