www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Canley Heights CenotaphPrint Page Print this page

The Cenotaph commemorates those who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. 

The original memorial was erected in the Sydney suburb of St Johns Park in 1920 in memory of 11 residents who had given their lives in World War One. Situated in a park it also served as a drinking fountain during sporting fixtures and picnic days. When the location was developed to provide housing for the growing population of the area the monument was removed to the Fairfield Council yard and sat neglected for a number of years. The Canley Heights RSL Sub-Branch was formed in 1964 and in 1972 received permission to move the St Johns Park memorial to their premises in Wakeley.

In 2001 the memorial was refurbished. The white paint that covered it was removed and it was sanded down to the original sandstone and slabs of Balmoral granite from quarries at Gosford were added. The troughs for the drinking fountains were removed and the lower section remodelled. The cost of the refurbishment was $26,000, most of which was raised by donations over a period of 14 months. The renamed Cenotaph was officially opened by the RSL State President, Mr Rusty Priest, on 25 April 2001. The names of the 11 St Johns Park fallen were added in 2003.

Monument Charactertistics:
The memorial is a sandstone cenotaph faced with treated slabs of Balmoral red granite. On the apex is a bronze torch and flame. The whole sits on a two-stepped sandstone base with a galvanised steel post and chain fence. There are two steel flagpoles on both the north and south sides, and a 4 inch mortar on the south side. There are 6 stands supporting bronze plaques, inscribed on which are the names of members of the Canley Heights R.S.L. Sub-Branch who have died since 1979. 

 

Location

Address:26 Humphries Road, Canley Heights RSL Club, Wakeley, 2176
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.878882
Long: 150.912345
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Manufacturer:E. & M. McPHERSON (stonemasons)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 28th August, 1920
Front Inscription

IN MEMORY OF
ALL SERVICE MEN
AND WOMEN OF ALL
WARS AND CONFLICTS.

LEST WE FORGET

Plaque:
   This Cenotaph 
was dedicated and opened by
Mr Rusty Priest, AM
President of NSW RSL
        on the
 15th (sic) April 2001

Left Side Inscription

THIS MEMORIAL
WAS RE-ERECTED
AND COMPLETED
ON ANZAC DAY 2001

Back Inscription

[Names]
LEST WE FORGET
ORIGINALLY ERECTED
TO THE MEMORY OF
ST JOHNS PARK
SOLDIERS WHO FELL IN
THE GREAT WAR OF
1914 - 1919
BY THE RESIDENTS

DESIGNED AND BUILT BY
EDDIE & MARTIN McPHERSON
 

 

 

Right Side Inscription

ORIGINALLY BUILT IN
1920 BY ST. JOHNS
PARK COMMUNITY.

Source: SKP, NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design