Royal Australian Air Force MemorialPrint Page
This monument was erected to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base at Forest Hill which commenced operations on 1 July 1940, training pilots for World War Two.
|Address:||Baylis & Morrow Streets, Victory Memorial Gardens, Wagga Wagga, 2650|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.109444|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||01-July-1940|
|Actual Event End Date:||01-July-1990|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th June, 1990|
This Monument Commemorates The
50th Anniversary Of RAAF Base Forest Hill
Which Commenced Operations 1st July 1940
The Following Is Immortalized
Trained Pilots For World War II : Ansons,
Beaufighters And Wirraways Once Filled The Local
Aircraft Were Repaired : Like Ansons, Beaufighters,
Beauforts, Boomerangs, Kittyhawks, Mitchells,
Vengeances and Venturas.
Since, Technical Training Involving Apprentices
And Adults Has Been Performed : Other Non-Technical
Training Is Now A Feature.
The Base Is An Integral Part Of The City : Its Airmen
Continue To Be Contributing Members Of The
Those Who Served At The Base Are Remembered.
30th June 1990
Alderman Group Captain
P. Brassil K. V. Griffin
Mayor Of Officer Commanding
Wagga Wagga RAAF Base Wagga