Sutherland War MemorialPrint Page
Sutherland War Memorial is a stone obelisk which was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One. The monument was relocted in 1992 and now commemorates men and women from the Sutherland Shire who have served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
They died that we might live,
All honour give
To those who, nobly striving, nobly fell
That we might live.
His Excellency the Governor, Sir Walter Davidson, appropriately introduced Oxenham's fine lines in his address at Sutherland on Saturday last. The occasion was the unveiling by the Governor of a soldiers' memorial opposite the Shire Council. Erected under the supervision of Mr. Dwyer, overseer of the shire council, the memorlal is of stone which was obtained from the 70-year-old Holt Sutherland House.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 30 May 1921.
|Address:||Eton Street, Sutherland, 2232|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.030892|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 28th May, 1921|
ERECTED AND DEDICATED BY
THE PEOPLE OF THE SHIRE OF SUTHERLAND
TO THE HONOUR OF THE LIVING AND
THE EVERLASTING MEMORY OF THE DEAD.
UNVEILED 28th MAY 1921
BY HIS EXCELLENCY SIR WALTER E. DAVIDSON KCMG
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES AND ITS DEPENDENCIES
THIS MEMORIAL WAS RELOCATED BY THE SUTHERLAND SHIRE COUNCIL AND RE-DEDICATED BY A. R. GARDNER AM MBE RFD RD PRESIDENT SOUTHERN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT COUNCIL R.S.L. OF AUSTRALIA N.S.W. BRANCH
In The Presence Of
HIS EXCELLENCY REAR-ADMIRAL PETER SINCLAIR AC AO
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
18th OCTOBER 1992