Rockley War MemorialPrint Page
Rockley War Memorial commemorates those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
Rockley War Memorial is made up of three brick pillars, two of which support an arch, while the centre pillar carries a clock which was originally part of the council chambers. The clock was erected in memory of Lieutenant-Colonel Harold McIntosh, the former Shire President, who lost his life in World War One. The clock was unveiled on the 26th January 1918 and commemorates his attributes as a valuable citizen rather than his merits as a soldier.
Lieutenant -Colonel Harold McIntosh, the Shire President from 1906 to 1915, was killed in the attack on Gaza in April, 1917. He was shot in the groin and the bullet pierced his artery. Medical staff managed to rejoin the artery in an operation later that day but unfortunately, that night, the artery burst open while he was asleep and he bled to death in 30 seconds.
A large gathering of residents of Rockley and district, together with friends from Bathurst and other parts, assembled outside the Council Chambers on Saturday afternoon to witness the unveiling of the memorials created in honor of the late Lieut.-colonel Harold Mclntosh. Cr. Brownlow, President of the Abercrombie Shire Council, presided, and after a verse of the National Anthem had been sung, said that they had met together to do honor to one who had long been a Rockley resident, and who had endeared himself to everyone, rich and poor alike, by the charm and simplicity of his manner. Cr. Brownlow further referred to the late Lieut.-colonol's good qualities, alike as a personal friend, a fellow councillor, and to his valuable services as president of the Shire Council from 1906 to 1915, and explained that these memorials, had been erected to mark their esteem of a citizen and a friend. His military services would be commemorated, along with all others who had gone from the shire, in the roll of honor in course of compilation. At the conclusion of his remarks the president drew aside the Union Jack — the symbol of the Empire the late Lieut.-colonel loved so well, and for which he fought and died— and disclosed to view the large 30in. electric clock dial fixed in the north wall of the chambers, and which will be visible for a considerable distance in the township, as well as to travellers approaching Rockley from Bathurst, Trunkey, and Newbridge roads.
Lithgow Mercury (NSW), 30 January 1918.
|Address:||Budden Street, Stevens Park, Rockley, 2795|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.688929|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 2nd March, 1957|
THE CLOCK ON THESE CHAMBERS
WAS ERECTED In Memory OF THE LATE
LIEUT.-COLONEL HAROLD MC INTOSH
A WELL BELOVED CITIZEN
OF THE ROCKLEY DISTRICT,
AND PRESIDENT OF THE ABERCROMBIE
SHIRE COUNCIL FROM 1906 TO 1915.
(gate between pillars )
LT.-GEN. SIR JOHN NORTHCOTT
K.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., C.B.
GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
ON 2nd MARCH, 1957
THE ROCKLEY SUB-BRANCH R.S.S. & A.I.L.A.
AND CITIZENS OF
ROCKLEY BURRAGA DISTRICTS.
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
LEST WE FORGET