Memory Park War MemorialPrint Page
A monument commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. Memory Park was originally established as a memorial to those who served in World War One.
In January 1922, four tenders had been received for the supply of seven trachyte slabs engraved with the names of the Penrith soldiers and a meeting was held on February 2nd to finalise the names to be added to the slabs. The committee determined that any soldier who resided within the Municipality of Penrith at the time of enlistment would be included on the roll. Finally, in July 1922, nearly 3 1/2 years after war's end, Memory Park became a reality. It was opened on Saturday, July 8th, 1922 by the then State Governor, Sir Walter Davidson.
The memorial was redesigned and a new cenotaph constructed incorporating the honour rolls, with the design chosen from one of the four different proposals submitted by Terrance Plowright.
|Address:||High & Woodriff Streets, Memory Park, Penrith, 2750|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.754106|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Terrance Plowright (new memorial)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 8th July, 1922|