Obley War MemorialPrint Page
The War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The memorial was unveiled in August 1922 by the Honourable C.J. Dunn.
Monument Characteristics :
White obelisk with marble name plates engraved with crossed rifles, and the Union Jack with the Australian National flag. The Memorial rests upon an expansive base, the whole surrounded by a fence with four pillars. A flag staff and "Lone Pine" accompanies the Memorial proper.
The residents of Obley have decided to erect an obelisk to the soldiers who took part in the big war, and the committee have decided on the work being carried out by Mr. C.J. Shakespeare. There were 13 men who enlisted from Obley, 5 of whom were killed while five others were wounded. The memorial will be 13 feet high, and will be surrounded by an iron railing, and it will be erected on a piece of ground near the public school. It is intended to ask the Governor-General to perform the unveiling ceremony during his country tour if he comes to Wellington for the annual show which is to be held in May.
Wellington Times (NSW), 27 February 1922.
|Address:||Tomingley Road, Obley, 2868|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.705042|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||C.J. Shakespeare (Wellington & Molong)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th August, 1922|
They Heard The Call And Answered.
OBLEY Roll Of HONOR
In Memory Of
Those Who Fought And Fell In
The Great War 1914 - 1918