Narrabri RSL War MemorialPrint Page
The War Memorial commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The new memorial is an impressive stone structure, with brass and marble features, recessed lighting, topped by three flagpoles and flanked by cannons, a fitting setting for the name plaques which honour those who served. The Anzac Centenary Grants Program contributed $9,100 towards the erection of this memorial.
The new war memorial was dedicated on the 15th March 2015 by the president of the RSL, Rear Admiral Ken Doolan, AO.
A committee of RSL sub branch and RSL club members, and community participants, wanted a more inclusive memorial, incorporating the names of those who have served in modern conflicts post-Vietnam War. The familiar, existing war memorial, built in 1979 and revamped in 1996 was removed. It was replaced at the same site with a simple structure to provide a focal point, but the larger new memorial comprises 12 polished stone plinths, each bearing the names of former Narrabri district service people who have served in wars and peace keeping missions. Each plinth, about 1.5 metres high, bears the names of service people from World War One through to more recent conflicts and peace keeping missions including Korea, Malaya, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan and East Timor, and the First Australian Armoured Division which trained in the Narrabri area in 1942.
Note : Photos displayed are from the earlier memorial.
|Address:||Maitland & Fitzroy Streets, RSL Memorial & Citizens Club, Narrabri, 2390|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -30.332367|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 15th March, 2015|