www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Moree War Memorial HallPrint Page Print this page

09-July-2016
09-July-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

Moree War Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served in World War One. 

At last operations in connection with the erection of the Moree Memorial Hall have been commenced. The plans, designed by Messrs. Ross and Rowe, architects, Sydney, give practicably the same accommodation as did the plans originally approved by the committee, with the exception of minor improvements, and provide for a building of reinforced concrete. Special attention has been paid to a very complete system of reinforcement which the architects have many times proved to be entirely successful in other parts of State where similar foundation difficulties have been encountered. The foundation, briefly, is in the skeleton raft principle. The building when completed will be entered through a deep and spacious open portico through five/double doorways, to the main vestibule. On the side of each there will be two ticket offices and cloak rooms. From here access is gained to the main hall or auditorium, and, by wide, and easily ascending stairs, to the gallery. The seating accommodation will approximate eleven hundred, including that provided by the gallery. 

The School of Arts is to be erected on the northern side of the Memorial Hall, and will have a separate building constructed of similar material and on the same principle. It provides an entrance portico, a spacious committee room, library, and large reading room at the rear, all well ventilated, and particularly well lit. Care has been taken to provide four open fire places for artificial heating. The design is similar to the Memorial Hall. The frontage to the main street will be enclosed by a decorative low fence composed of concrete piers with an ornamental chain treatment connecting pier to pier. The contract has been signed for the erection of both these buildings. Mr. Charles Schultz, a well-known master builder, of North Sydney, is the contractor. 
Moree Gwydir Examiner and General Advertiser (NSW), 29 May 1922.

Location

Address:36 Balo Street , Moree, 2400
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -29.462364
Long: 149.841747
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Structure
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple
Monument Designer:Messrs Ross & Rowe (Sydney), architects
Monument Manufacturer:Mr Charles Schultz (builder)

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 17th April, 1923
Front Inscription

MOREE WAR MEMORIAL HALL

Plaque:
THIS PLAQUE IS A REPLICA OF THE ORIGINAL
STONE ADJACENT AND BELOW 

MOREE MEMORIAL HALL 
THIS STONE WAS LAID
BY THE RIGHT HONOURABLE

WILLIAM MORRIS HUGHES P.C.K.C.
PRIME MINISTER OF THE COMMONWEALTH 16-11-21. 
IN HIS ABSENCE BY

ARTHUR CARTER
Plaque:
MOREE MEMORIAL HALL
THIS STONE WAS LAID
BY THE RIGHT HONOURABLE
WILLIAM MORRIS HUGHES P.C.K.C.
PRIME MINISTER
OF THE COMMONWEALTH 16-11-21. 
BY HIS DEPUTY SGT. ARTHUR CARTER
Plaque:
THE ERECTION AND UNVEILING
OF THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATES
THE OFFICIAL VISIT TO MOREE
DURING CENTENARY YEAR 1962
                       BY
THE HONOURABLE R.J.HEFFRON M.L.A.
PREMIER OF NEW SOUTH WALES 
                     AND 
         MRS. HEFFRON
ON 20th SEPTEMBER, 1962. 





 

Source: SKP, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design