Miranda War MemorialPrint Page
The Miranda War Memorial commemorates Australian servicemen and women who have served in all wars and conflicts. The War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One but a memorial wall has been added to the memorial to commemorate all conflicts.
The marble tablet on the sandstone memorial is the Miranda Central School Roll of Honour.
According to articles which appeared in the The St George & Sutherland Shire Leader on the 16th July 2009 and on the 15th December 2011, the Miranda War Memorial has rather a chequered history.
The memorial was suggested by the Miranda Parents and Citizens Association as a way to honour the men of Miranda who enlisted in World War One and originally stood on the grounds of Miranda Public School until 1968. The original memorial contained a 'digger' statue by George Evans, a bricklayer from the Kingsway, and was moulded from cement and reinforced with steel.
Despite some initial criticism of the statue, which many people viewed as ugly and crudely made , the memorial was unveiled in 1918. By 1920 the statue was missing from the memorial and many theories abounded about its demise. The statue appeared several times in various locations up until 1923 and is believed to have been buried around 1933 into the tram cutting at Malvern Road by someone who was not in favour of its existence.
On Saturday afternoon, August 3, Miranda was en fete on the occasion of the official unveiling of the splendid honor roll recently completed at the Central Public School. The day was an ideal one of bright spring sunshine, tempered by the balmy north-east breeze blowing across Botany Bay. Even the local village critics could find not one fault with the weather. As this very fine piece of work was described fully in the columns of '"The Call" a few weeks ago, further comment thereon is unnecessary. The ceremony of unveiling was performed by Mr. James, Minister for Education, who pronounced the monument and marble tablet as the best of its kind that he had seen. The other speakers on the occasion were Mr. Ball, Minister for Works, our Federal and State representatives, Messrs. Lamond and Ley, Mr. Hyndman, of Sutherland Shire Council, Rev. Armitage, of Cronulla, Lieutenant Agassiz, and the Headmaster of Miranda School, Mr. W. J. Chiplin. Mr. Chiplin touched a tender chord by his references to the former light hearted pupils school, who as boys had never dreamed of the great events to happen in the future, when they would follow of duty, and in some cases lay down their lives for justice and liberty. The solid pile of masonry, referred to by one speaker as an emblem of the stability of the Empire, stands now as "The cynosure of wondering, eyes" in words of the poet. When passers-by look and realize what the stout hearted liberal minded voluntary workers of Miranda have accomplished, and the figure of the Australian soldier surmounting all, bold and impressive in pose and outline, keeping its vigil with steady gaze across the green fields and pretty woodlands, where the feet of many who once trod in happy freedom will alas, never press again, its noble proportions will, in the days to come, attract the eye and conjure up memories of the past, and outlive all adverse criticism.
Excerpt from St George Call (Kogarah, NSW), 17 August 1918.
|Address:||Central Road, Miranda, 2228|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.031044|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mr Dunlop (Stonemason) Mr Austen (engraver)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 3rd August, 1918|
MIRANDA CENTRAL PUBLIC SCHOOL
ROLL OF HONOUR
(Wall at Back)
THEY HEARD THE CALL AND ANSWERED YES.
LET US THIS DAY AND ALL THE DAYS THAT COMETH REMEMBER THEM
FOR THE PRICE OF LIBERTY IS ETERNAL VIGILANCE
LEST WE FORGET