Hurstville War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

22- October-2014
22- October-2014

Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

The Hurstville War Memorial was originally erected in 1922 to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. An additional stone was added in 1950 to commemorate those who served in World War Two. A Koren War plaque is also located on the memorial. 

The Governor (Sir Walter Davidson) on Saturday afternoon unveiled the Hurstville Soldiers' Memorial. He was accompanied by Dame Margaret Davidson, and the members of Parliament present included Mr. Lamond, M.P., Mr Ley Minister for Justice, and Messrs Arkin and Gosling Ms L. A,, Ald E H Baker, Mayor of Hurstville presided. The memorial which stands in the square opposite the entrance to the railway station is of pleasing design. Constructed entirely of Bowral trachyte it comprises a large panel die of finely worked stone, which stands upon a square base reached by several steps. Upon the die are engraved the names of Hurstville soldiers who were killed.  This is surmounted by a highly polished and practically flawless lonic column of polished trachyte, terminating in a banded globe.  The whole stands 25 feet in height.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 29 May 1922.


Address:Forrest Road, Memorial Square, Hurstville, 2220
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.967337
Long: 151.103303
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 27th May, 1922
Front Inscription

Their Memory Liveth For Evermore

         Erected By
The Citizens Of Hurstville
      In Memory Of
Their Brave Sailors And Soldiers
          Who Fell
In The Great War, 1914 - 1918.

Unveiled On 27th May, 1922, 
His Excellency Sir Walter Edmund Davidson.
Governor Of New South Wales.

Left Side Inscription

How Grand Is Victory But How Dear 

[ Names ]


(Stone in Front) 

1939 - 1945 

Back Inscription

They Brought Glory And Honor Unto The Nation 

[ Names ]


Right Side Inscription

It Was Victory And The Grave

[ Names ]

(Stone in front) 

1939 -1945 


Inscription in Proximity

              1939 - 1945
      "We Will Remember Them"

Unveiled On 25th November 1950
His Excellency The Governor Of New South Wales
Lieut-General Sir John Northcott, K.C.M.G., C.B., M.V.O.



Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design