Granville War MemorialPrint Page
Granville War Memorial is a granite column and ball which was erected in memory of those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One. A plaque was added to the memorial in 1995 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of World War Two.
The ceremony of unveiling the beautiful monument erected in front of the Town Hall, Granville, to the sacred memory of Granville's fallen heroes in the Great War, took place last Saturday afternoon in the presence of a large gathering of townspeople. A guard of honor, comprising returned soldiers and local militia, under Lieut. J. E. Donovan, marched from the railway station escorted by the Clyde Works' Brass Band, under Bandmaster Geo. Gill, and took up a position in front of the monument and were inspected by Major-General Sir Charles Rosenthal, K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., V.D., M.L.A. A troop of local Boy Scouts was also present. A goodly number of people were provided with seating accommodation.
Sir Charles Rosenthal, who was briefly introduced by the chairman, said in the course of a very appropriate address, that since his arrival in Granville he had come across a number of soldiers who had been associated with him in France an association of which any man might well be proud. He asked of his audience, if they were not a very privileged people? Was any other country so favorably placed as Australia? It was a country that did not know what it was to have war within its own borders. Sir Charles Rosenthal concluded by saying that the memorial was worthy of the designer. He deeply appreciated the honor of being asked to perform the ceremony of unveiling it. He did so in memory of the brave men.
The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate
(Parramatta, NSW), 2 December 1922.
|Address:||3a Memorial Drive, Granville Soldiers Memorial Park, Granville, 2142|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.834688|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th November, 1922|
THEY BROUGHT GLORY AND HONOUR UNTO THE NATION
ERECTED BY THE CITIZENS OF GRANVILLE IN MEMORY OF THEIR BRAVE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918
UNVEILED ON THE 25TH NOVEMBER 1922 BY MAJOR GENERAL SIR CHARLES ROSENTHAL K.C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. VD. M.L.A.
(Plaques on plinth support)
THIS PLAQUE WAS DEDICATED ON THE 15th AUGUST, 1995 TO COMMEMORATE THE 50th ANNIVERSARY 0F THE END OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR
IN MEMORY OF CHARLES GARDINER, A.M.
FOR HIS UNCEASING DUTY TO EX-SERVICEMEN AND THE COMMUNITY
FOR RIGHT AGAINST MIGHT
THEY FOUGHT AND DIED.
THEIR MEMORY LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
TOO DEARLY LOVED
TO BE FORGOTTEN