Erina War MemorialPrint Page
Erina War Memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who lost their lives in World War One. An additional plaque has been added to the memorial to commemorate those served Second World War, Korea and Vietnam.
Originally the memorial stood beside the The Entrance Road and Terrigal Drive junctions, on the hill below St. Philip, the Deacon church. It recorded the names of local men who died during World War One and was built using local labour. The reinforced concrete memorial was moved to the grounds of the Salvation Army Woodport Citadel on The Entrance Road in 1985. It was rededicated in August 1986. A feature of the original memorial, which vanished over time, was a captured German machine gun.
The Erina District War Memorial was unveiled by Colonel Vernon, D.S.O., in the presence of about a thousand people. The memorial tablet bears the names of soldiers from Erina, Matcham, Wamberal, and Terrigal districts, who fell in the great war.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW ), Monday 19 November 1923
|Address:||126 The Entrance Road, Woodport Salvation Army Citadel, Erina, 2250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.438612|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||04-August-1914|
|Actual Event End Date:||28-June-1919|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 11th November, 1923|
WAR MEMORIAL ERINA TERRIGAL
Because They Died
That Others Might Not Die
Comfort Your Hearts
[ Names ]
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY AIR MARSHALL
SIR JAMES ROWLAND , K.B.E., D.F.C., A.F.C.
GOVERNOR OF NSW
TO MARK THE RE-DEDICATION OF THIS WAR MEMORIAL
ON THIS SITE ON 6TH AUGUST 1986.
PRESENTED BY THE EAST GOSFORD ROTARY CLUB
"SERVICE ABOVE SELF "
IN MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO SERVED IN
THE 2ND WORLD WAR,
KOREA AND VIETNAM.
LEST WE FORGET