Collie Soldiers Memorial HallPrint Page
Collie Soldiers Memorial Hall was erected in memory of those who served.
On Saturday May 24th the foundation stone of the Collie Soldiers Memorial Hall was laid. In the absence of the Warren Shire President, Mr E. Townsend, President of the Gilgandra Shire Council performed the act. In his address Mr. Townsend congratulated the C. W. A. on the determination to go through with the business. It was a big undertaking for a small community and he congratulated all concerned on the wisdom displayed by the resolve to erect the building gradually inaccordance with the cash in hand. For a movement of this kind it was most desirable that all should work with the harmony and singleness of purpose displayed by the men whose memory they were honoring by the erection of this memorial.
Gilgandra Weekly and Castlereagh (NSW), 12 June 1930.
Collie's spacious new Soldiers Memorial Hall which stands in the rear of the village, was officially opened at a dance on Tuesday, December 30, in the presence of a large attendance. Several carloads were present from Gilgandra, and the centres around were all represented. The number of local residents present was disappointing to the members of the Collie Country Women's Association, which body was mainly instrumental in the establishment of the hall, and had carried out all arrangement's for the opening. At 10.30 Mr. S. K. Murray, in a neat speech, thanked all for the attendance and especially the ladies of the local Country Women's Association for the untiring efforts in having such a beautiful memorial erected in honor of those brave men from the district who had lost their lives at the Great War.
Gilgandra Weekly and Castlereagh (NSW), 8 January 1931.
|Address:||Bundemar Street, Collie, 2827|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.664128|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 24th May, 1930|