Bungonia War MemorialPrint Page Print this page

Bungonia War Memorial : 26-April-2011
Bungonia War Memorial : 26-April-2011

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Peter F Williams

The Bungonia War Memorial is a white marble obelisk which commemorates those who served in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The memorial originally commemorated servicemen and women form the district who served in World War Two. Additional names were added to the memorial at a later date to commemorates those from the district who had served in the Boer War and World War One.

In the little village of Bungonia, situated on the Southern Tablelands, 17 miles east of Goulburn, a very impressive ceremony was held recently and briefly reported. This was the unveiling of the Soldiers' War Memorial to the servicemen and wcmen who enlisted from that district and served in the 1939-45 war. The unveiling was carried out by Mr. L. J. Tully, M.L.A., who gave a very impressive speech.

All speakers paid special tribute to the men and women who served so nobly and especially to the three lads who paid the supreme sacrifice. After the memorial was unveiled, Bugler Holgate sounded the "Last Post" and then many floral tributes were placed by relatives and friends. This memorial, which bears 32 names, is the first to be erected in the whole of the Mulwaree Shire and Goulburn district.
Goulburn Evening Post (NSW), 20 April 1949.



Address:King Street, Bungonia, 2580
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.855841
Long: 149.943391
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 27th March, 1949
Front Inscription

       1939 - 1945.

        PAID THE


    1899 - 1902

    1914 - 1918

Left Side Inscription


1914 - 1918

Back Inscription

1939 - 1945

1914 - 1918

Right Side Inscription


1914 - 1918

Source: MA,SKP
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design