Brownlow Hill War MemorialPrint Page
Brownlow Hill War Memorial commemorates those who served in World Wars One and Two. The memorial was originally erected to commemorate those who died in service or were killed in action during World War One; especially those from the neighbourhood. A plaque was added to the memorial at a later date to commemorate those from the area who died in World War Two.
The picnic and concert in connection with the Sunday School anniversary was held at the Methodist Church on Saturday, November 19. The Soldiers ' Memorial was unveiled during the afternoon, and quite a large number of people gathered for this ceremony. After partaking of afternoon tea with the teachers and scholars of the Sunday School, all proceeded to the monument, which is of Glenmore stone and stands on a portion of the Brownlow Hill Estate, just past the Church. It bears the inscription ''Erected to the memory of all those who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War, 1914 -1918, and especially Victor Hansen, Frank Paul, Eustace C. Peverell, Hector Small, who lived in this neighbourhood.'' The monument was unveiled by Mrs. Downes.
Mr. Porter thanked the members of the Downes family for their offer of a site for the memorial, those who gave so willingly towards the expenses, the men who worked so whole-heartedly, and also the ladies who provided afternoon tea for the workers on each occasion.
Camden News (NSW), 1 December 1921.
|Address:||Werombi & Stanhope Roads, Brownlow Hill, 2570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.011864|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th November, 1921|
Erected to the Memory
Those Who Gave Their Lives For
KING and COUNTRY
In The GREAT WAR
1914 - 1918
Who Lived In The Neighbourhood
This plaque is erected
to the memory of
THOSE ABOVE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR KING & COUNTRY
IN WORLD WAR II 1939 - 1945
WHO LIVED IN THIS NEIGHBOURHOOD