Blackheath War Memorial ArchPrint Page
Blackheath War Memorial Arch commemorates those who have served in the various conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The arch was originally erected to commemorate those who served in World War One.
The foundation stone for the Blackheath War Memorial Arch was set by Australia's former war-time Prime Minister William (Billy) Hughes in 1928 and unveiled the following year by the NSW Governor. Construction delays and unavailability of the State Governor delayed the unveiling until one month after Anzac Day in 1929. The memorial arch cost local residents ₤300.
A quiet but impressive ceremony marked the laying of the foundation stone of the Blackheath Soldiers' Memorial Arch, by the Rt. Hon. Wm. Morris Hughes, on Saturday afternoon, befitting a function carried out on the eve of the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice, ten years ago.
The Blue Mountain Echo (NSW ), 13 November 1928.
|Address:||Great Western Highway & Hat Hill Road, Blackheath Gardens, Blackheath, 2785|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.632936|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Major General Sir Charles Rosenthal, Rutledge and Beattie.|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th May, 1929|
LEST WE FORGET 1914 - 1918
[ Names ]
This Stone Was Set On
10th November 1928
BY THE RIGHT HON W M HUGHES P.C. K.C. M.P.
[ Names ]
WORLD WAR II
This Memorial Was Dedicated
On 25th May 1929
By His Excellency
ADMIRAL SIR DUDLEY DE CHAIR K.C.B. M.V.O.
Governor of N.S.W.