Bergalia War MemorialPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Ian Bevege

Bergalia War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in both World Wars.

After the Great War ex-servicemen and members of the Bergalia Rifle Club formed a committee with the intention that a memorial should be built at Bergalia. By 1920 the Committee had been formed. In 1921 an application had been made to the Australian War Museum for a gun and tripod, which were to ornament the granite base of the memorial. A light machine gun without tripod and base was allotted in May 1921.

The memorial was not built of granite as had been intended, but of concrete, with the gun mounted on top, the whole being covered by a rotunda type roof to protect the gun from the weather.  A memorial wall has been built behind the original cement monument and two plaques, honouring those from the area who served in World War Two have been placed.  

The memorial is on land donated by the Grieg family who have the adjacent farm.  The ANZAC service here each year attracts a large crowd - 100 plus which is large for a small rural area, and the local Moruya Light Horse troop also attends.

The memorial was rededicated on ANZAC Day 2003.



Address:Beashels Lane, adjacent to old Bergalia store, Bergalia, 2537
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.9814028
Long: 150.102417
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 25th April, 1925
Front Inscription

In Memory Of Those
Who Served From
The Bergalia District
1914 - 18

[ Names ]


Left Side Inscription

In Memory Of Those
Who Served From
The Bergalia District 1939 - 1945

[ Names ]

Inscription in Proximity


Source: MA,NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design