St Mary`s Queen of Peace Memorial Gates Print Page
The gates of the church were erected in memory of those from Scone and District who died in service or were killed in action during World War One.
There was a large attendance in the grounds of St. Mary's R. C. Church, Scone, on Sunday afternoon last, when the new Presbytery was opened and Memorial Gates in the new fence were likewise opened and dedicated to the fallen soldiers of Scone and district. The ceremonies themselves, performed by the Most Rev. E. Gleeson,C.SS.R., D.D., Bishop of Maitland, were of short duration. A sharp shower of rain drove the assemblage to shelter in the church itself. The Bishop was welcomed by the Rev. Father Kilgallin.
The congregation was addressed by Mr. V. C. Thompson, Federal member for New England, and Assistant Minister for Commerce; Mr. S. L. Gardner, member for Robertson, and Government Whip; Ald. W. J. O'Brien, Mayor of Scone; Colonel J. R. C. Davies, M.C., Mr. A. M. McMullin, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Scott Memorial Hospital; and Mr. A. T. Baker. Dr. Gleeson delivered an eloquent address, but before doing so, Rev. P. C. McCormick (Singleton) made an appeal towards the end of reducing the debt on the Presbytery and fence. It was subsequently announced that the appeal resulted in £72 being received, an amount which has since been increased to £90. Other priests also present were: Revs. B. Watson (Scone), P. Duggan (Denman), W. Hourigan (Murrurundi), and M. Fitzgerald and F. Donoghue (Muswellbrook).
Scone Advocate (NSW), 29 November 1938.
|Address:||Short & Park Streets, St Marys, Blessed Virgin Mary Queen of Peace Catholic Church , Scone, 2377|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.053374|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 27th November, 1939|
TO THE HONOUR AND GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF FALLEN SOLDIERS OF SCONE AND DISTRICT
THESE GATES ARE ERECTED