www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Wandsworth District Soldiers MemorialPrint Page Print this page

02-December-2015
02-December-2015

Photographs supplied by Neil Follett

The War Memorial commemorates those from the district who served in World War One. The monument was relocated to its present position when the Guyra -Tingha Road was realigned.

The inhabitants of Wandsworth and surrounding district will long remember 3rd March, 1920, as being the day the Soldiers' Memorial was unveiled. The morning was very threatening, and showers fell at intervals till about 10 o'clock, when things brightened up a little. The committee then met and decided to carry out the programme. The edifice is built on a concrete foundation, and is surmounted by solid blocks of granite. On one of the latter the names of the soldiers are cut and painted in gold letters. The whole is enclosed with a neat wove wire fence. The enclosure is covered with a coat of fine gravel.

The site chosen is on the public school ground, at the junction of the Guyra, Tingha, and Ben Lomond roads. The soldiers were invited to a luncheon by the committee. It was served at Ward's hotel. A word of praise is due to Mrs. Ward and Mrs. A. Farrell, for the fine repast provided. The health of "The King" was proposed by Mr. Everett; that of "Returned Soldiers," by Mr. A. Mackenzie, and responded to by Captain Mackenzie. A procession was then formed, headed by the Guyra Band, in the march to the site, the soldiers, headed by Lieul.-Colonel Abbott, paraded in the enclosure, with the committee. Lieut.-Colonel Abbott gave an address, followed by others from Messrs. Everett and Mackenzie.

The ceremony of unveiling was performed by Mesdames Cameron and Jackson, the former having lost three sons at the war, and the latter one. Immediately the scroll was uncovered, members of the Ollera and Tenterden Rifle Club, under the command of Captain Baxter, fired a salute. Miss M'Crossin then presented Mesdames Cameron and Jackson, on behalf of the Ollera and Wandsworth Knitting Class, with a very handsome brooch.
Armidale Chronicle (NSW), 13 March 1920. 

Location

Address:Guyra Road , Wandsworth, 2365
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.064202
Long: 151.517856
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:WW1
Actual Event STart Date:04-August-1914
Actual Event End Date:28-June-1919

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Wednesday 3rd March, 1920
Front Inscription

WANDSWORTH DISTRICT
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL

Erected By The Residents
Of Wandsworth & District
In Honor Of The Men
Who Enlisted From This District
And In Glorious Memory Of Those
Who Gave Up Their Lives
In The Great European War  
1914 - 1919

[ Names ]

Mont St Quentin  Hindenburg Line Passchendale 

Left Side Inscription
Honor Roll
[ Names ]

Bullecourt  Villers Bretonne  Morlancourt 
Back Inscription
(Names) 

Romani Damascus Gaza
Right Side Inscription
Honor Roll
[ Names ]


Somme 1916-17  Gallipolli  Fromelles 
Source: MA, NRWM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design