www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Servicemen of the DistrictPrint Page Print this page

14-June-2015
14-June-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A stained glass window, a gift of the late Barbara Jeffries, was erected in memory of those from the district who died in service or were killed in action during World War One and World War Two. The window is a reproduction of Holman Hunt`s painting "The Light of the World." 
 
Mrs. Barbara Jeffries, 80, widow, of Hamilton, Newcastle, bequeathed to Christ Church Cathedral, Newcastle, the Victoria Cross awarded to her son, Captain Clarence Jeffries, in the first world war. It will be kept in the Warrior's Chapel of the Cathedral. Mrs. Jeffries, who died in January, left an estate of £82,994. Captain Jeffries was killed in action in the Battle of Passchendaele. He was awarded the honour posthumously.
 
Mrs. Jeffries bequeathed £200 to St. Luke's Church of England, Wallsend, Newcastle, for the erection of a memorial to deceased ex-Servicemen of the district. She left the remainder of her estate to members of her family. Probate of her will was granted in the Supreme Court yesterday.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 28 April 1954.

The Dean of Newcastle (Very Rev. W. A. Hardie) will dedicate a memorial window at St. Luke's Church, Wallsend, at 10.30 a.m. on Sunday. The window, which was the gift of the late Barbara Jeffries, is in memory of ex-servicemen of the district in the two world wars. Representatives of Wallsend R.S.L. and the Legion of Ex-Servicemen and Women will be in attendance. The window, which is 12 feet by 3 feet in stained glass, is a reproduction of Holman Hunt's painting, "The Light of the World."
The Newcastle Sun (NSW), 13 October 1954.

Location

Address:Metcalfe Street, St Luke`s Anglican Church, Wallsend, 2287
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.905299
Long: 151.670797
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Conflict
Sub-Theme:Multiple

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 17th October, 1954
Front Inscription

A.M.D.G. ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE SERVICEMEN
                     OF THE DISTRICT WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
IN WORLD WARS 1 AND 11.  THE GIFT OF BARBARA JEFFRIES. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design