Australian Army Veterinary Corps MemorialPrint Page
Memorial commemorates those who served with the Australian Army Veterinary Corps in conflicts in which Australia has been involved.
On Saturday 30 June 2015, the first memorial in Australia to honour the Australian Army Veterinary Corps (AAVC) was established. The AAVC was an integral part of the Australian Army from its formation in 1909 until its demise in 1946. The veterinary members served Australia over this time in peace and in wars by providing expertise and a high standard of professionalism.
The Australian Army Veterinary Corps (AAVC) was a corps of the Australian Army which was formed in 1909 to replace the veterinary department of the Commonwealth Military Forces. Following the establishment of a number of permanent artillery batteries and a remount department to supply them with horses, a permanent section of the AAVC was formed in 1911. Responsibilities included veterinary care of horses and the training of farriers and non-commissioned in shoeing, horse care and veterinary first aid. During the First World War 120 officers of the AAVC served overseas with the Australian Imperial Force. However, due to the effect of mechanisation there was only a limited role for specialised veterinary services during the Second World War. The corps was disbanded in 1946.
|Address:||8 Worongary Road, Mudgeeraba Light Horse Museum, Mudgeeraba, 4213|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.061868|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th May, 2015|