Mareeba & District Memorial MosquePrint Page
Islamic Albanians first began arriving in the Mareeba area in the 1930s, working in the cane fields around Cairns and later in the tobacco industry. In 1952 they began worshipping in a house specially purchased for that purpose. The extant mosque was constructed in 1970 and has been the home of Islamic worship in Mareeba and the surrounding area since.
|Address:||Walsh & Lloyd Streets, Mareeba , 4880|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -16.989181|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 25th April, 1970|
MAREEBA AND DISTRICT MEMORIAL MOSQUE
Erected by the Albanian Australian Moslem Society.
This house of God is dedicated to those who gave their lives in the defence of Australia and in appreciation of all who served.
"Lest We Forget"
25th April, 1970