Aleppo PinePrint Page
Aleppo Pine (Pinus brutia) tree grown in the jubilee year of 1965 was planted in 1967 in memory of departed comrades.
The Lone Pine was the name given to a solitary tree on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey, which marked the site of the Battle of Lone Pine in 1915 during World War One and it was the sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches.
The tree was obliterated during the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia. Seedlings grown from the cones were planted at the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne and at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. Seedlings were also planted in Victoria at Wattle Park, the Memorial Hall at The Sisters near Terang and Warrnambool Botanic Gardens as well as Inverell in New South Wales.
The Shrine of Remembrance's lone pine was felled in August 2012 and the timber used as part of a remembrance project, after a disease known as Diplodia pinea or blue stains fungus as it commonly called killed it.
Melbourne Legacy and the Yarralumla Nursery in Canberra have grown seedlings sourced from the trees at the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian War Memorial respectively, which they have presented to schools as well as ex-service and other organisations throughout Australia.
|Address:||Princes Highway & Crescent Street, Kendall Cottage, Ulladulla, 2539|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.35343|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Tuesday 25th April, 1967|
(Plaque on tree)
This Pine Tree
is a direct descendant of the original
made famous at Gallipoli suring the war of
Planted Anzac Day 1967
ORIGINAL LONE PINE ON GALLIPOLI
GROWN IN THE JUBILEE YEAR 1965
PLANTED IN MEMORY OF
"LEST WE FORGET"